The Romanian part of the Limes
1200

The Romanian part of the Limes

limes
RO

The Danube Limes of Romania has a length of 1075 km and it’s dotted with fortifications along its course, such as Drobeta, Sucidava, Hinova, Capidava, Carsium, Troesmis, Dinogeția and so on. Some of these (Capidava, Dinogetia, Halmyris) are kept in great conditions, and they are monumental complexes with discernible walls and of great significance for the ancient Roman and Byzantine Ages.

The Danube Roman frontier was fortified in several phases. After Emperor Claudius (A.D. 46) conquered the kingdom of Thrace, he organized Thrace as a Roman Province; at the same time the annexation of the eastern part of Moesia, onward to the Danube and the Black Sea, was taking place. The first troops are settled in the Danube forts from the north eastern corner of Moesia, during the reign of Emperor Vespasian (after A.D. 69). The completion of the defensive system in these lands, belonging to the Moesia inferior province after A.D. 86, will take place only during the reign of Trajan, around the times of the Dacian-Roman Wars (101-102, 105-106).

A vast construction program is archaeologically and epigraphically documented, meaning the building of castra and castella, burgi and turres for the troops in forts displayed systematically on the Danube frontier.

After the conclusion of the Dacian war, the Emperor calls for the presence of a legion – legio V Macedonica – settling its station at Troesmis Danube castrum (until A.D. 168 – 169).

Until the end of the Roman rule in the Lower Danube, at the beginning of A.D. VII-th century, following the attacks from the Slavs, this border (bordering from the end of the III-rd century the new province of Scythia) will be permanently enforced with troops, controlled with the Danube Fleet and fortified by building or repairing fortifications.